Tuesday, June 21, 2011

BIGGEST LOSER: SARAH NITTA'S WEIGHT LOSS TIPS

Sarah Nitta was on last season's "The Biggest Loser" reality TV series. She supplied me with  favorite weight loss tips and recipes for my story that's running in the Deseret News. In future posts, I will be running tips and recipes from Sarah's mom, Deni Hill, and Justin Pope.
Sarah told me that while on the show, she developed a love of hiking. 
“I LOVE it! I love backpacking and fun things like that that keep me super active and challenge me without needing to be stuck on the treadmill,” she said. “When I do really intense things like backpacking, I am able to eat with a little more freedom because my body is burning so much more. I make much healthier choices now and am very aware of what I am putting into my body. I know understand that food equals energy now, and that is awesome!”


Deni Hill and daughter Sarah Nitta
Sarah's tips:

  1. “Keep moving! Walk even between workouts. When in doubt, walk!” 
  2. “No injury should ever stop you from exercising. There are always modifications that can be made.” 
  3. "Every excuse is a choice to fail! That's the famous Sarah Nitta quote! You have to be honest with yourself and realize the excuses that you are making. Then cut them out and get to work.” 
  4. “Don't be afraid of the weights, ladies! The more muscle you have the better your fat-burning engine!” 
  5. “Drink LOTS of water! Water is necessary to break down fat, so drink up!”
  6. “Carbs are your friend! But better in the morning and early afternoon.”
  7. “Always couple a carbohydrate with a protein when you eat. If you are going to eat an apple, eat a string cheese with it.” 
  8. “You have to eat to lose weight. Don't skip a meal.”
  9. “The greener the better! Eat lots if fruits and veggies.”
  10. “Become an intuitive eater. Eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. But you must listen to your body!”


Sarah's Roasted Asparagus     Photo by Valerie Phillips

SARAH’S ROASTED ASPARAGUS
Asparagus spears, washed
Cooking spray
Garlic powder, to taste
Dried onion flakes, to taste
Mrs. Dash Onion And Herb Seasoning Blend, to taste
Lemon juice, to taste
Parmesan cheese, to taste
Preheat oven to around 400 degrees.  Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.  Lay asparagus on on  In oven around 400 degrees lay asp on sheet with cooking spray. Sprinkle with garlic, chopped dried onion, Mrs. Dash, lemon juice and parmesan cheese. Cook to desired crispiness. I like them crisp!
— Sarah Nitta

THE SARABEAR
“Best ever.  While on the ranch, we named it the Sarahbear after me.”
3/4 cup Greek yogurt
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup almond milk (vanilla sweetened)
Sweeten to taste with Truvia (my favorite sweetener)
Mix in the blender.
— Sarah Nitta



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good аrtіclе. Ӏ am eхperіenсіng sоme оf these issues
as wеll..

Fеel free to νіsit my hоmepаgе - Οrganic pottіng soil
(http://www.m-l-m.org/groups/organic-soil)